Microsoft Windows 10 – The April 2018 Update
Outside of the weekly patches released each Tuesday, Microsoft releases larger feature updates to Windows 10 twice a year – each Spring and Fall. Microsoft announced the Spring 2018 update will be available April 30 with manual installation options, followed by widespread availability on May 8.
- Password recovery for local accounts – Users can now answer security questions and unlock their accounts. This is great news for employees who often forget their passwords and business owners concerned about network security.
- Diagnostic data viewers – Even if you are not an IT nerd, this feature will be good to keep an eye on. It more easily lets you see what data is being collected about your PC, what is being sent to Microsoft, and (most importantly) lets you delete it!
How should my business handle this release?
As we have noted in the past, these feature updates have serious potential to cause problems, so we highly recommend delaying their installation for at least 10 days. To avoid automatic updates, EVAN recommends you configure your Windows Update settings to best fit your office environment prior to May 8.
- Click and type “Windows Update”
- Select a “Choose when updates are installed” option:
- Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) – Only recommended for small offices with modern hardware. See #4.
- Semi-Annual Channel – Recommended for larger businesses and any that have no immediate need for the improved features. This will automatically delay these feature updates for about 3 months.
- If you select “Targeted” above, we recommend setting the delay option to 10 days. This will still get you Window’s newest features quickly while avoiding the issues that are typically discovered immediately after major update releases.
These changes will not prevent you from receiving weekly security and device drivers updates.
Please contact us if you need any further explanation or assistance configuring these settings.
EVAN Your IT Guy is more than just a great source of technology information; we have EVANs waiting to meet your IT needs right now.